Decadent Skinny Slaw
One of the things that bothered me when I was first diagnosed is the thought of “special” foods. Would I never eat like a normal person again? Over the years I developed recipes that work for anyone while meeting my diabetic needs. I work with a few diabetic kids and my recipes for diabetic pizza and chips have made a big difference in the way those kids look at themselves and their lives. This super easy recipe is another of those foods that make kids of all ages feel “just like everybody else.”
This recipe comes from a restaurant I managed in New York City called The Diet Gourmet.
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoon granulated sugar substitute
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1 1/2 pound cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Combine the cabbage and carrots with the sauce. Chill in the refrigerator for 3-6 hours or overnight.