Frejon is the west african way of celebrating good friday. West africans have brown beans or black eyed peas with a fish sauce and the popular fermented cassava grains called garri sprinkled over it. —Afrolems
Brown beans or Black Eyed Peas
Small bulb Onion (cut into rings)
Scotch Bonnet Peppers (Chopped)
Chopped Spring Onions
Salt to Taste (optional)
- In a pot, place your washed beans and 1/2 cup of coconut milk and bring to boil on medium heat. Add 3 cups of water to the beans so it boils till it’s very soft, almost a mushy texture.
- Once the beans is soft, blend it with the rest of the coconut milk and return to the pot to continue cooking. Season with sugar and 1 bouillon cube.
- Open your sardine and drain the oil into a separate pan, fry the onions, spring onions, pepper, tomato and blended tomatoes.
Season with the garlic, ginger and seasoning cube.
- Pour in your sardine and stir.
- Serve the frejon with the fish sauce and garri sprinkled over it.