A healthy flavoursome take on an Italian classic. Nutritional yeast has a nutty cheesy flavour making it a good alternative for a vegan diet, especially as it is a complete protein. Other benefits are all the B vitamins which are important for everyone’s health but more so for those on a vegan/vegetarian diet. This yeast is rich in Selenium which helps to repair cell damage therefore helping to reduce the risk of cancer. It has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, it improves digestion and as it is rich in folate pregnant women should include this in their diet. Just a few reasons to get familiar with this cosmopolitan dish.
The recipe can be found here –
white onion, finely chopped
uncooked gluten-free spaghetti
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Drop in spaghetti and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, nutritional yeast, and water in a bowl.
- While the pasta is boiling, sautee pancetta in a pan until slightly crisp.
- Add onions and continue to sautee until translucent.
- Turn heat down to low and whisk in the egg yolk mixture. Whisk continuously until thick.
- Toss the cooked spaghetti in the sauce.