Broiled tenderstem broccoli (barbecuing / grilling also works wonderfully) tossed with lightly toasted flaked almonds and an addictive anchovy butter. This next-level side is delicious alongside grilled or roasted meats, especially lamb.
I live in London where the almond slivers I was used to buying at the grocery store in Los Angeles are unavailable so I used flaked almonds instead – they are happy substitutes for each other in this simple side. —Rachel Phipps
tenderstem broccoli (broccolini), trimmed
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
unsalted european-style butter
brown anchovy fillets, packed in oil
flaked almonds or almond slivers
- Pre-heat the broiler to 200 degrees celcius / 390 farenheit.
- Trim the broccoli stems to remove any hard bits of the bottom, and toss them together on a non-stick baking tray with the olive oil and a good amount of freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. Focus particularly on the heads to make sure the oil gets into the florets!
- Broil for about 10 minutes until the stems of the broccoli are just tender, and the florets are starting to char.
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor or high powered blender blitz together the butter and the anchovies until smooth.
- In a small frying pan over a medium high heat, toast the flaked almonds until just golden – keep an eye on them, toasting nuts can catch and burn in just moments!
- Spoon the butter over the broccoli. Sprinkle over the almonds and toss the broccoli around the tray until the butter is melted and has coated the broccoli and the almond pieces.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish before bringing to the table.
I write easy weeknight recipes and ingredient driven features for my newsletter, ingredient.